Saturday 30 July 2011

Online and Printed Questionnaire

What is a questionnaire? 
A questionnaire is a research instrument consisting of a series of questions and other prompts for the purpose of gathering information from respondents

This week, we're moving towards questionnaire and will be followed by a mini research. I am required to do a pilot test (yes, pilot test!) in Survey Monkey. You can access the website here. Before I proceed with the making of questionnaire, I have to register (it's free!) at the website. It is best to use any of the official e-mail accounts that were created weeks ago. Using Survey Monkey is easy since it provides clear instruction on how to add questions. As this is pilot test, the instruction was to use multiple choice, one answer only. My pair and I created 10 pilot test questions and provide the link to our coursemates for a test run. After collecting the data, both of us are able to see an overall mechanism of online questionnaire. This, however, is just a beginning to everything. 

So after the Survey Monkey pilot test questionnaire, I continued with the second task, a more complicated one. This time, I have to create questionnaire using Google Document. Google Doc isn't something unfamiliar but honestly, I was shocked to know that one can create questionnaire via Google Doc! Eye-opening enough, I was cautious at following the instructions given and do it one step at a time.

For basic tutorial, you can create a simple questionnaire by following these steps:


  1. Use gmail account 
  2. Open https://docs.google.com or click on documents if using gmail
  3. Create New → Form
  4. Add demography and  item/question in variety format – multiple choice, 
  5. Checkboxes and scale  
  6. Explore the use of function Save,  open, edit form
  7. Ask several coursemates to test the online questionnaire.
  8. Explore the use of Spreadsheet for this online questionnaire and 
  9. Download  as Excel format (xls) ( this file will be imported in SPSS)

Truth be told, I had problems at first. I couldn't locate all the important buttons! The entire web page felt strange and I was pretty much lost. But ICT is all about trial and error. That's what I did throughout the course, trying, failed, and try again. I've learned so much that way. I couldn't rely on the lecturer at all time because this is hands-on assignment. After all the trying, my pair and I finally get a basic idea on how to create questionnaire via Google Doc. Since we're one of the earliest pairs to complete, I've used the remaining time to guide my other coursemates  in the process of creating one. 

After we finalised the content of our questionnaire, Azrul sent out the online questionnaire links to our coursemates and KDRI trainees. This is when we made full use of the database created in GE1155 group. We could access the e-mail address for KDRI trainees. Everything went smoothly except for a few glitches here and there. But we succeed in sending out the link and proceed to making 10 copies of our questionnaire. Our printed questionnaires were distributed to 10 random respondents. Our respondents were cooperative in filling up the questionnaire and we thanked them for helping us out.

This week has been so busy with other courses to juggle. In fact, we are both drained out from doing the questionnaire at the end of day. It's a great learning opportunity, multi-tasking and self-management. I honestly have learned a lot from the past week and the next few weeks, I believe, are more challenging.

Access files:
Pilot test - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8W7CR2F
Google Doc - https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dG9RM2NEQ09jUWxyRTNFVDBJamhKUnc6MQ#gid=0



B. Ed TESL IPGKS-UKM
IPG Kampus Sarawak
Jalan Bakam 98009
Miri

E-mail: barbarakath108@gmail.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/barbara_kath
http://www.facebook.com/barbarakath

No comments:

Post a Comment