Friday 8 July 2011

My First Week

After returning from 2 months worth of holidays, my first week turned out to be full of surprises. I've learned that we are going to take Computer in Education GE1155 for this short semester. As much as I want to conceal the excitedness in me, I am so thankful that finally I get to re-learn computers and whatnot this time around.

I have always been an avid fan of the computer and how it works around the clock to satisfy me as an heavy-duty user. GE1155 has provided me the utmost opportunity to get down and explore the computer in depth as per much it affects the education system now. This week itself, we received instructions from Mr. Fariduddin, our lecturer for GE1155, to set up numerous accounts as well as new official e-mail addresses.

E-mail (Yahoo! and Gmail)
Despite the number of e-mail accounts I had in the past, setting up official e-mail accounts using Yahoo! and Google service provider was not so much of a hassle. I then began to comprehend the importance of having official accounts as it can be used again in the future when I transfer to UKM, Bangi. There's a catch though, these accounts need to be created with our real names (as in per IC). Funny, bizarre names are not accepted since it will contradict the purpose of making it official. The process of setting up these accounts is very guided hence zero problems!

Yahoo! Group
Joining and creating Yahoo! Group are really new things to me. I knew the existence of online forum and group, but have no idea of Yahoo! having one actually startled me. Everyone was requested to join the GE1155 group created by Dr. Siti Fatimah Mohd Yassin for both IPG Kampus Sarawak and IPG Kampus Dato Razali Ismail. My membership was almost instantly approved by Dr. Siti Fatimah. As I've mentioned before, Yahoo! Group is new to me. I literally was lost in the page, however after several hours exploring and seeking, I finally understood how it works. Yahoo! Group is an efficient tool to connect with classmates or people who share with the same interest. As e-mail can be quite unfriendly to connect with people, these groups aim to make things simpler, no sweat at all! Among the features are messages (with attachments, too), links, polls, database and et cetera. I found that having a personal Yahoo! Group for storage is useful and beneficial. Apart from the effective sharing with others, it is certainly not time consuming and also money consuming. I can share whatever documents and links I have with my members that will require approval to join. Seem interesting, right?

Facebook
Yes, the mighty Facebook! I'm sure that everyone has an account these days as Facebook is very popular among teenagers and adults to stay connected. I, too have one personal Facebook. An instruction was given to create an offical Facebook account using any one of the new e-mail accounts. I decided to use my Gmail because it is lightweight and easier to manage. Similar to the purpose of the e-mail accounts, this Facebook account has to be official with my real names and photo. No funny and queer names! Facebook is another good medium to stay connected and sharing. As the top social networking website, there were many updates to the interface and system to ensure that it is user-friendly. The one thing I like about Facebook is that it is so easy! There's really no need to set up a thousand things because Facebook has it all. It even has the "Create Group" function. Commenting and posting on each other's wall are just few clicks away, I must say. Superbly efficient and amazing website for people like us!

The final one,
Blog

Blog wasn't as famous as it was back then. I still remembered having one when I was in high school and yes, it is still running (despite the zillion change of URL). As Twitter (mini blog) and Facebook rise to fame, blog providers such as Blogger and Wordpress are not that preferable as we speak. I agree that it can be time consuming but blog is amazing in archiving. Twitter and Facebook are lacking in archiving because whatever we update there, it will be gone and forgotten. Not blog! Blog is pretty much the online walking diary. I can write million posts in here and I will still be able to look back and read whatever I wrote, like 10 years ago. That's really a big plus to blogs. I created this blog using my Google account and filled in the necessary details. This one should be official too, so I took the initiative to have my name for the URL. Short, simple and memorable! I designed my own header using Adobe Photoshop, upload it on the server and voila, it's done! Since it's my official blog, I should have more effort in the attempts of beautifying, no?

All in all, I've learned really great things in my first week. It seemed jam-packed at first but as soon as I got the hang of it, I start to see interesting and wonderful things about computers and the Net. I owe this to Dr. Siti Fatimah and Mr. Fariduddin for their endless effort in guiding me as well as my classmates.


I am certainly looking forward to next lessons.

B. Ed TESL IPGKS-UKM
IPG Kampus Sarawak
Jalan Bakam 98009
Miri

E-mail: barbarakath108@gmail.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/barbara_kath
http://www.facebook.com/barbarakath
http://barbarakath.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment